57 Square four/ swing arm or not?

Anything about Ariels
nev keeling

57 Square four/ swing arm or not?

Post by nev keeling »

I recently purchased a 57 MK2 Square Four and am looking to do a nut and bolt restoration. I would like hear from members what there thoughts are as I am undicided wether to modify the Anstey link frame to swing arm or look for another frame that would do the job. I am also curious as to wether it would ad or loose value or should I keep it standard. Any help tips or advice is welcome.
Regards nev keeling
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 57 Square four/ swing arm or not?

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Nev , a swinging arm frame will give you a better ride and handle better and no hoping round corners on rough roads we have got one somewhere that my dad built in the sixties , i don't know if will lose value because it will be a rare Ariel motorcycle that rides and handle better 8-)
Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul_Linden »

Ariel swinging arm frames adapted to take a Square Four engine used to be around, I think there was an engineer who made a batch, but you won’t find one now. A word search on this forum may provide more info.
My swinging arm Square Four handles much better than my Anstey link one, but i enjoy them both equally for different reasons. I did not do the frame conversion, i just rebuilt one that someone had done previously.
As a general rule, a standard bike that hasn’t been altered would be worth more than a hybrid.
DA59C2A1-08AB-4BFE-8F34-E9DE7F6E4D16.jpeg
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

There is a third option which is somewhat of a half way option. Various people, notably the late Bob Brassington, have improved the handling of the MkII plunger frame by fitting external Kawasaki hydraulic steering damper units between the rear axle and the bracket at the top of the plunger unit. This modification is said to work well and is easily reversed back to standard, unlike the modification of the frame to swinging arm.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I have done the Brasso mod and can vouch that it works well.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

A bit of damping must make things safer. Nev
allan.walker
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

paul.jameson wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:25 pm There is a third option which is somewhat of a half way option. Various people, notably the late Bob Brassington, have improved the handling of the MkII plunger frame by fitting external Kawasaki hydraulic steering damper units between the rear axle and the bracket at the top of the plunger unit. This modification is said to work well and is easily reversed back to standard, unlike the modification of the frame to swinging arm.
That sounds interesting, Paul.....
Is there any more information anywhere, or a picture or two about this modification? I've read about people using friction dampers with Anstey links, but a bolt-on, easily reversible hydraulic set-up must work rather better.
tomwalker

Post by tomwalker »

Roger Gwynn wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:11 am I have done the Brasso mod and can vouch that it works well.
Well I think its a great tip...polishing ones Ariel makes it handle better! ;)
Tom Walker
1955 4G.
1934 New Imperial 100
1934 Harley Davidson VL
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

Roger Gwynn wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:11 am I have done the Brasso mod and can vouch that it works well.
I missed your message on this one, Roger.
Do you have any details or pictures, please?
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Having searched my photo collection, I cannot find anything of a useable nature showing the Brasso mod. From what I do have, the lower mount for the end of the hydraulic plunger was in the centre of the rear axle. The main body of the hydraulic unit was mounted on a bracket behind and somewhat above the plunger mechanism. The only person I can think of who has one fitted at present (so far as I know) is Pete Kemp.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.