QDL g/box

Anything about Ariels
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

QDL g/box

Post by charvey »

Hi All, Question 1. What oil would you use in a QD box I have 140, 90, or a mixture of oil and grease which I run my VH bap box on, what should I use?
Question 2. Is it low ratio box it has L stamped on the box and the first three letters are QDL, I have counted the teeth on the small gear on the top shaft and the smallest has 19T the middle gear has 26T and cannot see the teeth on the biggest gear through the inspection cover, in first roughly if you turn the drive sprocket the main shaft turns 2 3/4 round, In second the main shaft turns 1 1/2 times and in top its direct. The Ariel is a model B SV. Thanks very much Clive
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: QDL g/box

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i use 140 oil and grease in the uk but if it is somewhere that is very cold i would use 90 grease
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The gearbox is a model Q, the D says it has a speedo drive and the L is for low ratio, although the gears may have been changed. I don't have the number of teeth for the Q boxes to hand but they are probably listed by Geoff the club's gearbox man as he sells sets of high ratio gears.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

2 3/4 turns of the mainshaft is right for one turn of the output sprocket
in low gear for a QDL box.

The parts lists in the Members' Only section of the club website have
the numbers of teeth for the various gears.
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Thanks all for the reply's I thought it was a low ratio but now i have been told that is correct great and now I know the correct oil fill,
Thanks again for the reply's. I will get it running first then get some higher ratio gears to fit, Regards Clive membership no.,691.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Semi fluid grease is the best
AOMCC Treasurer
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i know that land rover use a semi fluid grease in the axles and i wondering if that is ok to use it comes in sachets and it would be very easy to use to fill the box