Advice on Ariel square four.

Anything about Ariels
Peter.smith

Advice on Ariel square four.

Post by Peter.smith »

I’m thinking of buying a 1953 MK1 Ariel. I don’t know a lot about it. It was featured in classic bike guide magazine in Feb 16. I wondered if any members knew of it. The reg is NYL342. It looks in good condition. Is there any particular things to look at when I go to see it. I also have the vin no and engine no, is there a website to check these out. Any sort of advice would be of great help. Thanks. Peter.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Advice on Ariel square four.

Post by will_curry »

This must be one of the last Mk 1s made. I'd expect the engine number to have the
prefix XH and the frame number the prefix ES. Somewhere on the top of the gearbox
I'd expect to find the letters 'GB7' and something like 'G53' or perhaps 'F53',
These latter are date codes.

The thing to be very wary of are Square Four engines that have been standing for
any time. This one was last taxed in January 2018. I'd like to see evidence that
the engine has been looked after properly - ideally club conrods fitted and an
external oil filter.

I think the Mk 1 is the nicest looking of the Squares and, when going properly, very
nice to ride too. I've had mine for well over 50 years now.

If you go go ahead and purchase the bike I'd thoroughly recommend joining
the club.

Finally, welcome to the forum.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Welcome Peter, and you've come to the right place. There are plenty of folk on here to help you.

Can I suggest that when you have seen the bike, post a few pictures here; record the frame and engine numbers (frame number under the seat, rhs, stamped into the frame lug; engine number lhs on the crankcase under the front left cylinder),and ask when it was last run, and more importantly when it was last rebuilt.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

Topic moved! (Sorry Peter, if we leave the topic under 'Members Bikes' you'll be committed to actually owning the thing....!!)

SG
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi peter welcome to the forum , if you like a bike that can spend more time in the workshop than on the road be very care full wen buying one if it has been siting around you can be opening a can of worms
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

If you send me a Private Message with the engine and frame numbers I will tell you whether or not they match. A more important consideration than matching engine and frame numbers though, in my view, is the state of the engine. Has it got an external oil filter in the return line? Can you take off the timing cover to look inside? If there is an external filter and the inside of the timing case is clean, the chances are good. No external filter and a filthy inside of the timing case means you need a complete engine strip down BEFORE you even run the engine.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.