winter project

Anything about Ariels
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

winter project

Post by charvey »

Hello All, Just got myself a winter project a 29 SV Ariel after a lot of searching, starting to pull it apart and the oil pump is not very good on the flow, the plunger is very small and seems slack in the pump I have tried all the usual stuff seating the ball bearing, springs ok and it still seems not to work well, I have a later pump can I fit it, it look the same apart from the flow plunger is bigger has any body tried a later pump and will the extra oil on the flow effect the engine, Thanks Clive.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: winter project

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi get in touch with morgo they make oil pumps for Ariels they may be able to tell you i find them very helpful and i find there parts and pumps are very good i have used them for last 50 years for my triumphs and Ariels :D and good luck with your with winter project , keep us on the forum up to date with how you are getting on with it
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Black ariels don't normally have an oil ring , so better going with the low volume pump
AOMCC Treasurer
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

That small pump was used till well after the war, when it had to supply the rockers as well.. Nev
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi All, Thanks for the replies, sticking with the old pump after taking it apart again the flow ball bearing is too small I thought because the plunger is so smaller the bearing would match but after looking at the seat the 7/32" ball fits both but I could see the small bearing was well seated but after giving both bearings a tap the pump seems to be working.
After inspecting the pump the inlet hole and the depth that the plunger moves is very short stroke so I am going to rig up a system with the sump off and a pipe to the return in oil and run the bike and check the system for flow and return as described in the mag or in the forum to make sure all is well, thanks for the replies regards Clive