Square 4 MK ll cam timing

Anything about Ariels
mike.loehr

Square 4 MK ll cam timing

Post by mike.loehr »

Thanks to Bruce Longmans article publishing the lobe center angle ( LCA ) for the Square 4 it makes it so much easier to dial the cam in.I would like to share a way we do it on big inch V 8 Chevrolet engines for drag cars and adapted to this particular issue.If anyone would like I will send sketches of the fixture with X Y coordinates which can be used on either #1 or #3 cylinders which locates TDC and max cam lift at one time along with the degree wheel to clock ( LCA ) @ 105 degrees ATDC.
#1 pic is finding all the center lines to design the fixture all done in milling machine with DROS ,angle plate etc.
#2 Fixture with stock lifter,indicator and TDC pointer.
#3 TDC mark on front crankshaft
#4 TDC pointer installed
#5 Finished cam timing.
Several points of interest.I installed sprocket on cam ,inserted in place and left the retaining ring out.Half time sprocket out far enough for chain to go on.Cam at max lift,Degree wheel 105 ATDC.Pull cam sprocket out far enough to be able to put duplex chain on,seat both sprockets recheck .Once satisfied paint 3 reference points on chain/sprocket. remove cam sprocket replace retainer ring ,reassemble and check.This all took about 15 minuets.
Be happy to answer any questions Sorry about orientation click on pic and it should present normal view.
MIke
IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg