Why did Ariel often feature a RACEHORSE?

Anything about Ariels
Les H

Why did Ariel often feature a RACEHORSE?

Post by Les H »

I've read lots of books and text of the Ariel History but never uncovered why the advertisements for the bikes featured a racehorse. In fact the often shown stylised geometric head I find slightly sinister and scary looking.
Screenshot 2022-07-19 130754.png
Screenshot 2022-07-19 130754.png (24.1 KiB) Viewed 765 times
2359f7abd6fc7db673cdc6f50dc0512e.jpg
Could someone let me know why. My personal assumption is the likening of the "HUNTER" theme might be the horse link and did the Sangsters have race horse connections?...Surely a race horse is not a hunting horse is it? No idea myself. Thanks
Last edited by Les H on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Why did Ariel often feature a RACEHORSE?

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Correct, a Hunter in horsey terms is not the same as a race horse but that wouldn't stop the advertising department from using race horse analogies. There are obviously many similarities between riding horses and motorbikes. I am not aware of a connection between the Sangsters and horse racing but I wouldn't be surprised if there was. I am not aware of a connection to the Robert Sangster of the Vernon Pools empire who was a successful race horse breeder and at one time lived at The Nunnery on the Isle of Man.
If anyone knows more, please let me know.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks Roger...The horse head does look weird though. Like, does the horse's mane represent a pedestrian crossing?..Is the A meant to look like a Dual carriageway? (it's not the Ariel "A") And the eyes, why square eyes, maybe a square four? ...Ha Ha. Such a strange ugly creation :(
Last edited by Les H on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

1930's style, I like it
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Les, Roger, I believe(d) that the horse image came from a connection to a ‘Spirit in the sky’
Shakespeare ? But I looked that up and got no further then the (a ?) Tempest, a winged female figure and but no horse in sight.
If I am correct this horse image was drawn up by Victor Mole a publicity man at Ariel .
anyway, While on this path.., who came up with the frase ‘Cheval de Fer’ ?
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Spirit in the Sky, wasn't that Norman Greenbaum?

Ariel as a name is pretty old and has been used for all sorts of things from washing powder, Shakespeare's 'airy spirit' and a moon of Jupiter or Saturn. I recently learnt that it was also used by Robert Thompson for his invention of the pneumatic tyre, only he spelt it Aerial. Unfortunately this was 1845 and was too soon. The later story is a bit complicated but essentially Dunlop decided to market bicycles, which were built by Components Ltd and sold as Ariel. The cycle trade became upset at Dunlop selling bicycles and to keep the peace they sold the company to Components. There were at least 6 companies with Ariel in the name that relate to our bikes from Selly Oak but the original company was Cycle Components Manufacturing 1894-1902, replaced by Components Ltd 1902-32.
Other companies:-
The Ariel Cycle Co, 1896-32 Dunlop's cycle firm sold to Components in 1897
Ariel Motor Co. Ltd.1900-06 Set up by Components to market cars that they were making
Ariel Motors (1906) Ltd 1906-19 manufacture and marketing of cars
Ariel Works Ltd. 1915-32 Set up be Components to handle sales of motorcycles and cars
Jack Sangster Ltd. 1932 This was the company initially formed to take over the failed main company, this name only appears on a few works drawings, a UK brochure and an Italian catalogue.
Ariel Motors (JS) Ltd 1932-36 New name for Jack Sangster Ltd.
Ariel Motors Ltd. 1936-65 New name for Ariel Motors (JS) Ltd probably had something to do with the take over of Triumph, although I believe that both were owned by Jack Sangster using another company called Jack Sangster Holdings or similar, yet to be investigated.

I don't know who thought up Cheval de fer but as far as I know the magazine has always been called that.

Enough waffle
Karol Burger
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Karol Burger »

Cheval de fer - French , iron horse - English , železný kôň - Slovak

this is how google knows it :lol: :lol:
Ariel 500 E - 1927 /Ariel SF-1931 ,Ariel SB - 1932 / Ariel 4F6 - 1932, 1934 / AOMCC Slovakia Branch Secretary

https://www.arielklub.sk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/322716757874756
https://www.facebook.com/ArielKlub.sk
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

And now we have a company making Ariel motorcycles and sport cars
mark.prizeman

Post by mark.prizeman »

'25 Sunbeam 5 sports, '37 VH, '50 Magnat Debon M4, '53 AJS 20