Square four overhaul/valve guide seals etc.

Anything about Ariels
mike.loehr

Square four overhaul/valve guide seals etc.

Post by mike.loehr »

I wonder if there is any interest in rehashing some of the points in the overhaul of the Square 4? 1959 MK ll 3500 original miles ,unmolested in a collection for over 40 years.Engine has been dissassembled,oil passages cleaned and parts measured for published specs.All in as new condition.Going forward I have installed valve guide seals and the head is completed.MORGO oil pump and R&R billet con rods next.PIctures ,drawings and will do a youtube if any interest.
Mike
New attachments added July 14http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=31531http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=31531
Attachments
IMG_1125.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg
Last edited by mike.loehr on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Square four overhaul/valve guide seals etc.

Post by chris.shearwood »

Were you able to buy con rods directly from R&R?
1946 4G and 1951 VH
mike.loehr

Post by mike.loehr »

You can but much cheaper if you get rhem from Bennett Longman at Iron Horse Spares in the UK.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by david.anderson »

Mike
I would be interested in a youtube as I am certain others would. I am also interested in which Valve seals you fitted, the valves seal material (Teflon?) and what machining of the guide was necessary.
David.
allan.walker
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

+1 on the you tube video!
Knud.Degnbol

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

How much heat can the seals stand?
Many years ago I tried to use valve seals from a Morris/Austin engine in my cast iron Sq4. After very few miles I opened the lid over the valves, and all the seals were destroyed by heat. Luckily I was able to pick them all out before they went into the oillines.
So be carefull.
mike.loehr

Post by mike.loehr »

Many years ago and cast iron,fast forward to today.I have been building air cooled motorycle engines for over 50 years.Advancements in all forms of materials have made signifigant changes.In my performance engines I run full synthetic 20-50 oils same as in my 1934 Indian Sport Scout Big Bore.Viton seal material will stand upto 600 deg F. for 48 hrs. hence the synthetic oils.These particular seals are used on Modern Harley Davidson motors big inch displacement, high compression ratios in downtown traffic means high heat.I dont know about the cast iron 4 but the aluminum 4 toleraences are very close and the synthetics are suited for that enviornment.
Thanks for the input as all mechanics know what doesent work
Mike
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

Hi Mike,
From the pictures, I assume that you machined the top of the valve guides in-situ in the head. Would you please explain how this was done?
I don't have the required skills, but I have a friend who is a retired machinist with quite a good range of machine tools, so I may be able to ask him to do the work, in exchange for beer tokens.

Also, which seals did you use? I assume that they are Viton, but brand/specs would be handy.

One last question, did you use 'standard' bronze alloy guides? I'm just thinking about the possibility of lack of lubrication following installation of the seals. (I'm probably doing my usual over-thinking.... :?

Allan.
markus.nikot

Post by markus.nikot »

Since many years and mls my MKI is using valveguide seals from Volvo - Teflon(white) . They withstand the heat and working very well.

Markus
AOMCC German Branch Secretary
some Ariel - only Ariel
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

Thanks, Markus.

Did you have to machine the guides so that the Volvo seals would fit? If so, would you please let me know how this was done?

Allan.