51 mk1 sq4 throttle cable

Anything about Ariels
peterR

51 mk1 sq4 throttle cable

Post by peterR »

I have noticed my throttle cable appears to be a bit short. When on full turn of handlebars it seems to pull the throttle on a bit. Not a big issue when riding as not using full turn. The cable run is as short as at can be (i think). I run standard bars and the correct cable for the bike, it is a mid adjust type.
Does anyone else have this problem.
Apart from that it runs well and I am just finishing off the heat cycle retorque proceedure, using those unbelievable but correct tourque figure.

Cheers
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 51 mk1 sq4 throttle cable

Post by simon.holyfield »

I've got an original Ariel throttle cable - there's enough slack at the handlebar end to prevent any problem like that. Have a close look here:

IMG_20220604_173617.jpg
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
peterR

Post by peterR »

Thanks for the reply.
The first thing I notice is the length of the outer cable from the centre adjuster to the handlebar is much longer that the one I bought from Draganfly which was the one recommended for a 51 mk1. I think if mine was that length (about 7" longer)it would be fine. Have a look at the cable on Drags web site and you will see what I mean.

Cheers
Peter
peterR

Post by peterR »

Simon could you possibly measure the length of the section from the handle bars to the mid adjuster please.

Thanks
Peter