Full width front hub broken brake plate

Anything about Ariels
KevinOToole

Full width front hub broken brake plate

Post by KevinOToole »

I had been warned about the full width hub, brake plates... They say it's only a matter of time before they break. I bought the bike about 8k miles ago, so, I've had a good run. I had only travelled 100yds from home and I didn't fall off! Went home and got my pre war Ariel single out and continued on my way.
I initially fitted a spare brake plate but the broken brake has dented my confidence in the full width hub brakes, so another idea is required. I checked and there are no twin leading shoe brake plates for available at the moment, so I'm fitting a Royal Enfield wheel for the time being. When it's finished, I'll post some photos. Looks OK so far. I'm machining an adaptor this evening, hopefully.
Attachments
Ariel Front brake.jpg
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Full width front hub broken brake plate

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi its old age of the alloy it goes brittle the best way is to make a new brake plate with a better alloy billet like i did a few years back i set up a C N C and made some
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

There was a comprehensive article on this topic in the March 2016 edition of Cheval.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Fairly serious safety issue. The twin leading shoe set up is good for track work but doesn't work well backwards. So you don't ride BACKWARDS, but you may have to start from an upslope sometime. Brakes mostly fail when you need them most. When the anchor stay pulls out you generally have the brake try to lock Not on the front wheel thanks. Nev
allan.walker
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

will_curry wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:44 pm There was a comprehensive article on this topic in the March 2016 edition of Cheval.
Thanks for the reminder.
KevinOToole

Post by KevinOToole »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:50 pm hi its old age of the alloy it goes brittle the best way is to make a new brake plate with a better alloy billet like i did a few years back i set up a C N C and made some
Have you got any drawings for the CNC brake plate... I have a lathe and a CNC miller. Your help would be much appreciated.
KevinOToole

Post by KevinOToole »

will_curry wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:44 pm There was a comprehensive article on this topic in the March 2016 edition of Cheval.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
KevinOToole

Post by KevinOToole »

nevhunter wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:36 am Fairly serious safety issue. The twin leading shoe set up is good for track work but doesn't work well backwards. So you don't ride BACKWARDS, but you may have to start from an upslope sometime. Brakes mostly fail when you need them most. When the anchor stay pulls out you generally have the brake try to lock Not on the front wheel thanks. Nev
All good points.
I don't want to go very far with the standard brake plate, I have used as a replacement.
As an initial stop gap, I have bought a Royal Enfield front wheel ass'y. I'll post some photos when I have it fitted.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi kevin
i closed down two workshops in the last year and sold off the land for building and CNCs and a lot of workshop equipment and the programs was on the CNC and all the drawings was in the cabinet with the tooling for the CNCs and it went for export just before this easter
KevinOToole

Post by KevinOToole »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:55 pm hi kevin
i closed down two workshops in the last year and sold off the land for building and CNCs and a lot of workshop equipment and the programs was on the CNC and all the drawings was in the cabinet with the tooling for the CNCs and it went for export just before this easter
If there were photos, it would be good to see them. Photos of the brake or the bike with the brake fitted would be nice to see.