Fake HS?

Anything about Ariels
seppo.seppanen

Fake HS?

Post by seppo.seppanen »

Hello fellow Arielists. A gentleman is locally offering a bike for sale in Finland, which very much looks like a 1955 HS model. The bike was completed/built in Sweden around 15 years ago and the next owner practically left it in the garage unused. Was traded to Finland about 2 years ago and again not used. Some details raise an "alarm" with this bike and I do not consider it being a "real deal".

Frame: DU prefix (not KSS / DUS as it should). Engine: LK prefix (correct) and with a A7-3003 cast mark on cylinder top (which is the 1955 VH or HT = not correct). Gearbox: GB5 J54 numbering + serials. The timing cover is from NH engine, not having "HS". All sidecar attaching points seem to be there = regular roadster frame
Scrambler.jpg
!

The bike itself looks rather nice with curved, non-muffled exhaust and a Lucas racing magneto. Mudguards and tank look fine too. A bit confused with this bits and pieces combo 🤔. I have received several photos and the seller is openly answering questions. Bike is registered, has a speedo and added lights to be street legal. No charging system due to racing magneto. Only a battery to be charged separately.

The value of this bike is probably as much as someone wishes to pay. Unfortunately as a genuine HS the value is zero.

Ideas anyone?
1953 Square Four MK II
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Fake HS?

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Thanks for the picture.
Although the factory did make a few HS models with sidecar mounts, this frame has no sidecar mount on the front down tube.
So I think it's safe to state that this HS is a replica.
Tank looks to be the proper steel HS item and is rather a rare item .
kickstarter should be a folding type, I think this one has a fixed footpiece.
Carb is a Concentric instead of the Monobloc it should have.
footrest look to be the standard road model ones, a HS has very sturdy box like footrests that are fixed on two holes each side.

edit: Oh dear! not meant to be picky, just pointing out some of the features....... :D
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i is a nice looking bike if you like it and it's a good price buy it and enjoy it and don't worry what part are right or wrong, i know some member will pick at it, but i would just enjoy riding it 8-) :)
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

We need a photo of the numbers, if the engine number is a fake aswell the value would be 3000 euro's on this moment.
klaus gerhard
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by klaus gerhard »

Hi Seppo,
the bike looks very much the same as my 1955 HS. The front rim looks to be smaller than 21" due to the gap to the mudguard. Mine has the std drivers footrests as the HS on the photo . If you want any details in particular feel free to get in touch. I am happy to provide photos of mine to compare. HSes are nice bikes to ride and give lots of fun.
Regards Klaus
seppo.seppanen

Post by seppo.seppanen »

Please see the photos about numbering etc. Should tell quite a bit about the combo.
Attachments
signal-2022-05-18-09-58-53-000-1.jpg
signal-2022-05-18-09-59-25-000.jpg
signal-2022-05-18-09-59-33-000.jpg
signal-2022-05-18-09-59-40-000.jpg
signal-2022-05-18-09-59-46-000.jpg
1953 Square Four MK II
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Engine and frame nr. are good so you can ad an other 500 euro.
seppo.seppanen

Post by seppo.seppanen »

Frame still from standard roadster as code is plain DU, not DUH?
Cylinder appears to be VH, so then cylinder head as well. Seller says the bike has the "hot" cam. Is that possible with HS block + VH cylinder combo?
1953 Square Four MK II
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The cilinder is original HS-HT and the hot HS cam and followers can be fitted to all post 1930 VH-NH singles exept VCH roundfoot COM competition engines.
The mark 1 HS cam is a full noise cam so if a silenser is fitted there is little extra power to a standard cam.
If used on the road the standard VH will give you much more joy.
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Thu May 19, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
seppo.seppanen

Post by seppo.seppanen »

Thank you. Was seeing from another similar discussion that A7-3003 casting mark refers to VH/HT. Super sportcam said to be in the engine. I'd mostly use the bike on road, but plenty of gravel / forest roads available here too. Maybe with the non-silenser I also should stay in remote areas 😄.
1953 Square Four MK II