Technical Manuals for Ariel 1931 557cc

Anything about Ariels
Sandro.P

Technical Manuals for Ariel 1931 557cc

Post by Sandro.P »

Hello Ariel Friends

I am contacting you with the hope for technical assistance regarding an old Ariel.

My father has collected numerous historic motorcycles and restored them over the last 50 years. I’m also was infected with the virus from childhood and also own some old treasures. Well unfortunately my father passed away very unexpectedly & quickly last year at the age of 67. Most of the motorcycles in his collection I have already brought back to life and re-matriculated, as I am very keen to continue that legacy of my father and keep these old motorcycles on the roads as long as possible.

However, in the collection is also an Ariel (see also attached photos). About this motorcycle I know very little & my father also had no documents about it. I assume that it was built in 1931 and has a 557cc engine. My problem is that in the "old" vehicle documents no power of the engine was specified (HP), but now the TÜV requires me to provide proof of performance. Consequently, I am looking for an original excerpt from a manual or the like, so that I can present this information to the TÜV.

My question is, does somebody of you mae have by any chance an original manual for this bike, where the performances are declared in it, or other documents?

Many thanks and cheers from Switzerland
tempImagexxl4l8.gif
tempImageMuRgwc.gif
tempImagebrhRmo.gif
tempImagek9W1hy.gif
Sandro
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Technical Manuals for Ariel 1931 557cc

Post by nevhunter »

Looks like a 1931 557 Sidevalve with a Bosch DAR magdyno which would/might indicate a European delivery. It's a fairly common bike and a catalogue should exist somewhere. The "rated" HP will be about 4 and the real horsepower about 15. Nev
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Here is the page from the sales brochure for a 1931 VB. You should be able to get a dating certificate from the club and you'd need to ask that they state a power output if that would be acceptable to your authorities?
VB31.jpg
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i have got some technical manuals etc on EBAY there is some book sellers that do them just keep looking and you will find what you need
Dave.Barkshire

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Also, if you're a member of the AOMCC you will be able to find manuals to download in the club's online library.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Unless I've missed something, none of the 1931 literature gives power figures - although the 1930 catalogue does, as here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6671&hilit=horsepower

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)