1947 Ariel

Anything about Ariels
DUhl

Re: 1947 Ariel

Post by DUhl »

So where did you find frame year ?? I was told this was a good original bike before it was restored 25 years ago
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

David, I suspect Paul J. has had a look at the factory records - check his signature ;)
There's probably more info available but it's usually a 'charged for' service (even for members).
Be interesting to know if both the frame and the engine were originally supplied to North America.
(Might be useful to put your location into your profile, David, to make it clear that you're in the US).

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Paul has supplied the info from the factory records, there is more detail available but only as a certificate.

A lot of it is correct but there are a fair number of incorrect parts but will still make a nice bike. Although the frame would mean it should be listed as a 1940 model the tele forks are probably from the original bike that the engine was in and give it the appearance of a 1947 machine. As Adrie says the tank is almost certainly Indian made and will work but the badges are wonky, the panel is wrong and won't fit properly but it will hold fuel! The more important question is do you have any history of the engine, has it been rebuilt, how many miles ago and was the person competent. Did they clean out the sludge traps, if there is any doubt you should budget to strip the engine, not cheap even if you supply the labour? There is only one way to rebuild these engines and that is properly and it takes time, effort and money. The other question to ask is how far has it travelled since it was built as that is one way to know if the engine is any good. Many engines are built and never travel very far either because the owner just doesn't ride it or they never sort out all the problems. Valuing it is difficult even with the answers to these questions as it is very subjective.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello DUhl

Please explain what DUhl means.
AOMCC Forum rules stipulate that the used forum name needs to be your real name ..please
Thanks

Vincent.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi wen i joined the club i just wanted to use Johnny B , but it would not let me use just that :? :?:
admin

Post by admin »

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:17 am Hello DUhl

Please explain what DUhl means.
AOMCC Forum rules stipulate that the used forum name needs to be your real name ..please
Thanks

Vincent.
Initial + name - D is David (see one of the posts above).
All forum names get checked by Admin - but it's not just needing letter and/or name combinations, if Admin thinks things might not be completely genuine there will be an 'anti-spam' email.
(And I don't claim to be 100% accurate or consistent, just 'reasonably' so - but then you guys don't see what 'admin' is on the receiving end of!) :roll: :roll: :roll: 8-)

SG