Fitting a Royal Enfield 2LS brake and wheel, Mk2 Sq4

Anything about Ariels
KevinOToole

Fitting a Royal Enfield 2LS brake and wheel, Mk2 Sq4

Post by KevinOToole »

I don't trust my original Mk2 Sq4 brake, after it broke up 10 days ago! I looked at a few solutions, the best would have been a club 2LS front brake but these are not going to available until the end of the year at the earliest.
Next I dug out an old h**da twin leading shoe wheel, that was purchased many years ago... The rim was the wrong size WM1 18. By the time I had fettled the hub and put a new rim on, the summer would be over.
Hitchcock's had some 2ls Royal Enfield wheels for sale with WM2 19 rims. The wheels had been removed from bikes to be converted to disc brake. Price was good, £192 delivered to the door. Condition was as new, it looked like it had never been used.
I've just tried out the mark one conversion and I'm happy with the brake. I'm also happy with the look of the brake from the brake plate side, the other side will need more work.
I may move the brake plate 20 degrees anti-clockwise to get a better line for the brake cable...
Although the idea isn't perfect it's the best solution I could find at short notice.
I have done this at my own risk and I would not encourage anyone to copy the idea.
Attachments
Front brake side veiw.jpg
Front brake end veiw.jpg
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Fitting a Royal Enfield 2LS brake and wheel, Mk2 Sq4

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

That is a good looking solution.
is it possible to alter the position of the levers on the brake arms or are they fixed in one position?
allan.walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

That's a nice looking conversion. Please let us know how well the brake works, once it is bedded-in. I have an Enfield Bullet and the 2ls brake works well, but from what I've read on Enfield forums, it seems that there can be some some variability in the performance of these brakes from bike to bike.

You mention that the Club is making some 2ls brakes; I hadn't heard that. :o
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Allan, yes the club did but I am not aware of any new series coming up.
They are for the FWH models.
I had one in my HS MkIII :
2LS front brake.JPG
I think this was a joint effort by Peter and Lester, but I could be mistaken.. :)
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Kevin
How did you deal with the brake-plate steady, and does the Ariel spindle fit without any mods?
All very interesting - thanks for posting.

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)