Arrow/Leader gearbox number

alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Arrow/Leader gearbox number

Post by alan.moore »

Gents,
I have a Leader 200 to examine for the club. Can anyone tell me where the gearbox number should be and if possible post a photo of what the number should look like.
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Arrow/Leader gearbox number

Post by roger.fellows »

Would it have one Alan? By the way there's a Sq4 logbook on fleabay
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Bob asked to record it if I can find it....are you saying the arrow gearbox's didn't have a stamped number?

Re the logbook which one, can you post the reg number

Cheers
alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
roger.fellows

Post by roger.fellows »

I don't know, but being integral with the crankcase would there be any point?
tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tstewart »

I have had the gear box to bits and cannot remember ever seeing a number anywhere.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The number is on one of the lugs at the front of the gearbox on the gearchange end but it is quite a small stamping so very easy to miss. You are looking for something like G 63 as the date code for these gearboxes is the same as for the post war four stroke gearboxes.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

The gearbox for all Leaders, Arrows and Sports Arrows is a GB55 BUT different on the Arrow 200 that I believe is a GB57 to denote its a 200 gearbox that has a different speedo drive ratio.
Below the GB55 or 57 you will find a single Letter that we think denotes month of manufacture along with two numbers that denote the year of manufacture that at least when the machines left the factory were matching for year gearbox was made and year the machine was made, don't think the letter denoting the month of manufacture matched precisely the month the machine build was completed and despatched but would be pretty close.
There is often another row of numbers below the year stamp but I do not know what they represent, I think it is the letter and date of year stamp of most interest to Bob, the only problem is, the gearboxes are stamped up on the removable inner cove casing that get changed on the 2 strokes because there is a small lug at the top on the inside that is the kickstart return lug that get broken off after some heavy and repeated kickstarting so don't be surprised if the year number on the gearbox does not match the year of the manufacture of the machine.
Have taken a photo of top of the gearbox on my 59 Leader unfortunately its a bit out of focus so you cannot actually see the numbers but the picture does at least show the flat spot on the top of the inner cover where you will find the numbers stamped. on this gearbox its GB55 J 59 the latter matching year of manufacture 1959 of this Leader. This picture was taken looking down onto the top of the gearbox end cover on the offside of engine.
That said, if the Arrow has its removable gearbox/alternator engine cover fitted you wont be able to see the gearbox at all.
Jess
Attachments
Where to find gearbox number on Arrow
Where to find gearbox number on Arrow
Last edited by Roger James on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Just found a better photograph in my photo files. You can see the numbers stamped on this one. GB55 F 59 Jess
Attachments
Gearbox numbers GB55 F 59
Gearbox numbers GB55 F 59
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Gents
Thank you very much for the information, much appreciated

Cheers
Alan