My latest project

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: My latest project

Post by bh.sprint »

This is something I tried a few years ago to make the Armours silencers quieter while I had the original one on my bike chromed. I've since used the additions to the Armours baffles on the 270 Leader and whilst it's a bit louder it's not too bad.
There is also a picture of the shorter 1'' end tube against the original one.

Brian H.
Attachments
IMG_0575.JPG
Untitled-Scanned-02 (2).jpg
lawriewhite

Post by lawriewhite »

I wonder if they've improved on their silencers, as when I tried mine this morning, they sounded the same as the originals, OK, only tried on the
bench for a couple on minutes, but I don't think I'll alter them.
Managed to make a round cover for the points as mine was missing, but the chain-guard will be a bit more challenging!
lawriewhite

Post by lawriewhite »

'Somehow' this machine started 2nd kick, ran fine & seemed good, but its now in gazillions of bits!!
I said 'somehow' for when the heads were pulled, I found the pistons could be 'waggled' about in the bores, once removed & miked up, they were
3/4mm smaller & the ring gap is, wait for it, FOUR mm eh?? Just how does this even run, let alone start easily!!
The pistons are 54.5mm & bores are 54.8mm!!
Having said all the above, is this normal for a Leader??

New 1mm oversize pistons to be fitted once re bored, then I found the clutch centre was split, & I had to fabricate a tool to hold it for dismantling.
Taken delivery of a new screen & rubbers, seat base, upper chaincase ( I have to make the lower one ) & other stuff.

I just finished the wheel rebuilds, using stainless rims, spokes, & new bearings & while I was at it, I stuck on some whitewall rings.
Attachments
Ring-1.jpg
Clutch-tool.jpg
New-wheels6.jpg
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Nice work, Lawrie.
Drags have just put up a clearance of their 'used' stock, there's some Leader/Arrow parts and it's not all listed (piccie of a pile looks to have a couple of Leader/Arrow frames) - might be worth giving them a call (if you haven't already!) to see if they've got anything you might be still looking for.

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
lawriewhite

Post by lawriewhite »

Hi Simon, i've looked on their website, but cannot find the clearance sale you mention, is it somewhere special??

Managed to hone the cyls & the new 1mm oversize pistons & rings fit perfect, just got to press the new rod-bushes.

Next job is to cobble up an end-plate puller to remove the cranks & seals. I keep coming across several previous bodge-ups, wrong screws in wrong threads etc. but I suppose it must be expected on a 56 year old!!
Anyone got thoughts on the compression ratio with Suzuki pistons, & whats best, skim a bit from the heads or the barrels to regain somewhere near original.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Lawrie:
Look for 'Second Hand Treasure Trove' under 'Nuts,bolts,mugs...shop'
They don't have much 2-stroke stuff listed, I'm assuming from the pic of the pile of 'Everything else' that it might be worth giving them a call about things you can't see.
(They do suggest you do this....)

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

Re using Suzuki pistons,

I've heard of a few ways of using Suzuki pistons-- some riders just fit them and say the bike performes OK , so leave things as they are.

Others take a bit off the barrel, top or bottom and others take metal off the head then reshape the head /squish band.

I took the head gasket out and this brought the compression up, I could feel the difference on the test hill. I checked the clearance between head and piston using some old plasticene-- it measured 45 to 50 thou.

The Suzuki pistons are about 30 thou shorter than the Ariel ones and have a higher dome, they are also shorter on the rear skirt.

Brian H.
lawriewhite

Post by lawriewhite »

I managed to machine the bores & brand-new 1mm oversize pistons fit fine.
I think i'll leave the skimming for now, easy to sort later if required.
Also managed to source a replacement upper only chain guard from Draganfly, so I set about cobbling-up a lower, this is the first attempt, a few
'adjustments' needed for No 2!!
Made pullers to remove the end-covers, then another to separate the crank, easier then I'd read about!!
New bearings & seal bought in readiness for the re-build, but the gearbox strip is next on the list, got fed up chocking the engine with blocks whilst stripping, so i'm in the process of making a front engine stand.
Attachments
chainguard-1.jpg
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

Hi Lawrie

You’re making good progress there.
I too have been waiting for Drags to make some lower chain cases but fear I may be too old to ride by the time they get them in! Are you making in steel and how difficult is it to do without a sample to copy?
Regards
Ivor
lawriewhite

Post by lawriewhite »

All guesswork i'm afraid, & having the top half gave length, rear radius etc. then studied pics on internet, made a wood 'plug' & here's the second
attempt, can't be far out, but if it don't fit then I'll make a third!! :D
Attachments
chainguard-4.jpg
chainguard-3.jpg