New member Sprint / Race / Parade Bike

Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: New member Sprint / Race / Parade Bike

Post by Roger James »

O.K. David,

Here's a photograph of another Arrow that is currently used for Sprinting, built by Tony Eykel from Essex, fitted with a converted Jakeman fairing.
What I like is, its still readily identifiable as a Arrow....

Jess
Attachments
The Tony Eykel Arrow sprinter
The Tony Eykel Arrow sprinter
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

David,
You could always consider building a 4 cylinder Arrow racer like this one by Arthur Spence.

Jess
Attachments
4 cylinder Arrow
4 cylinder Arrow
AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by AndyEames »

Hi David.
The great thing about building an Arrow racer is that you can't just go and buy all the go faster gear off the shelf. Now some would see this as a disadvantage, but for me it just reinforces ones determination to succeed. One other thing that you are beginning to see is that there is a growing number of enthusiasts out there willing to pass on their experiences (good or bad).
As for our gearbox mods. We need something with quite close ratios as on the hills the straight bits are fairly short and the gradient is a power sapper. I had kindly been given some close ratio gearbox 'proposals' by Peter Jordan. These in turn had been layed out by Bob Mallet (much racing experience). The ideal ratios are very close to what Bob proposed although the execution of them is not as simple as it seems. The great advantage of our gearbox is that it uses only Arrow pinions.
What we have done is to take the centres out of some gears and put them into others to suit different splines etc. The main thing was to take the sliding gear from 3rd -4th and put it as the 1st -2nd slider. This means we have 2 pairs of gears the same if you follow me. We have then made a pair of 1st gears using the 20 and 26t pinions. Again much machining to convert them but 'no pain-no gain. This first ratio may be a bit too tall but as we will be using a lower ratio final drive with hopefully more power ,and another 1,500 to 2,000 rpm at the top end it might just work. Then for the final drive ratio, 4th layshaft and sleeve gear, we have reconfigured a 20t to drive a modified 26t sleeve gear.. One other mod was to slightly alter the position of 1st to 3rd selector fork on its shaft. The only 'new' parts we have had to make are bushes and a spacer for the modified selector fork.
It all works ok on a dry bench test, but we will see when its in the cases. Other mods to do are taking out every other slector dog to aid speed of change and needle roller bearings instead of bushes for the layshaft. We are also fitting a clutch off a Suzuki TS 185 to cope with all the abuse that will thrown at it. When I was a kid, I had a chopped leader on the road that had a f/glass tank,race seat, allegedly Gearge Todd heads, and expansion chamber exhausts. It would do 90 on the clock anywhere and everywhere. Oh, and a front brake that threatened to launch you if you so much as looked at the lever. It was a scary beast but I loved it. Good luck with your project and keep us all informed of your progress.
In closing, we are having an aluminium tank made. I just made a dummy out of cardboard and handed it to our tame alloy genius, who just happens to be a bike racer. He is having it laser cut and will stitch it all together for us.
Andy
AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by AndyEames »

Roger,
I've been looking at the results at Barcelona in '61. What is even more commendable is that the Arrow finished in 3rd place overall in front of hoards of crazy Spanish riders such as Medrano, Busquets and Cesar Gracia. All of whom I was extremely fortunate enough to meet a few years ago at the OSSA factory in Girona.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hi Andy,
Yes it was some achievement for the little Ariel Arrow and of course its owner, George Salt and the two riders, Peter Inchley and Robin Good, something that the British motorcycling press paid little attention, the only reference in print that I've found to date was in The Motor Cycle magazine July 61 after Ariel Motors took out a full page ad congratulating George Salt and the two riders for their Outstanding Success for British Motorcycling in the Barcelona 24 Hour Race that I rather feel was the factory making the most of some good publicity to attract young lads into the showroom, that said it was the factory that built the Arrow in the first place so I shouldnt be too critical of them for taking out the ad.
By the time I had become the owner of the Salt Arrow although I prefer to think of myself as being its custodian, one day it will be passed on to a new custodian (but I have no intention of selling the Arrow just yet) sadly George Salt had just passed away and so too had one of its riders, Peter Inchley but there is good news regarding Robin Good as he is still with us and lives in retirement in Australia, I've been in contact with Robin who amazingly still has his racing leathers and pudding basin helmet from those far off racing days, also and I couldnt believe this, he still had the Trophy given to him from that Barcelona 24 hour race, another large trophy went to George Salt and a slightly smaller one went to Peter Inchley. Robin sent the Trophy to me to be reunited with the Arrow, I was on tender hooks for a couple of weeks waiting for it to be delivered constatnly worrying it might get lost in transit from the other side of the world. It arrived safely I'm pleased to say.
Also it was Robin that sent me some photographs taken at Barcelona so for the first time I was able to see what the Arrow looked like, slightly different to when it was being raced in the U.K. because of relaxed rules they were able to fit 18" alloy wheels, expansion chamber exhaust system, discard the rear chaincase covers to fit a larger rear sprocket.
George Salt had raced at Barcelona himself so no doubt made these changes based on his own experience.
No mechanical problems, amazing as I believe they covered something like 1,368 miles during the race, the circuit was hard on tyres that were worn to a point so these were changed at some point during the race to enable them to carry on and finish.
I also had some luck appealing for information on the Internet, I was contacted by a gentleman in Spain who had a book published about all the races on that Barcelona circuit, that contained photographs of the Salt Arrow, interestingly, one page is in Spanish and the other page is in English.
I am of course very proud to be the custodian of The Salt Arrow and the reason that I like to Parade Ride so much to show younger generations what the Sports Arrow is like in the metal although sadly very few know anything about its racing history and to many others its just another Arrow circulating round the circuit. I know I'm making a bit of progress though from instances such as the time I took it for Scrutineering at Donington when the young Scrutineer stood back and said, 'What is it?. causing a couple of his mates to chuckle out loud.
Some photographs for you of the Arrow out at Barcelona, the advert out of Motor Cycle mag, the Trophy on the Arrow seat and one I've just taken.

I'm very impressed with your own knowledge and interest in the Barcelona 24 hour races, and a little envious that you've met some of the riders from those days. well done.

Jess
Attachments
Ariel ad in The Motor Cycle
Ariel ad in The Motor Cycle
XNR during race Barcelona
XNR during race Barcelona
XNR in book on Barcelona 24 hr races
XNR in book on Barcelona 24 hr races
Barcelona 24 hr race Trophy on seat
Barcelona 24 hr race Trophy on seat
Barcelona Trophy
Barcelona Trophy
AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by AndyEames »

Wonderful stuff Roger. You must be very proud of that bike. Look on the website ' racingmemo' Its in french mostly but it is a most comprhensive record of post war racing. Leicester registration. Was George fairly local to us ?
Andy
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hi Andy,
Wow thats quite an impressive Website, I'm not very good with French but it didnt take me too long to work my way through to get the Barcelona 24 hour race results. thank you for mentioning it, I could well look up other race results in the future.

In answer to your question, George Salt had a motorcycle shop in Market Harborough, it closed down some years ago and last I heard it was a childrens nursery. I have been down to Market Harborough to have a chat to George's widow and to look through his photograph collection from his racing days. All his trophies that he won whilst racing were donated to the National Motorcycle museum just before he died but to date I've not been down to the museum to have a look at them, it should contain the main trophy from the Barcelona race, presuming they were not destroyed in the fire some years ago.

Jess
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

I wish some of this enthusiasm for Smokers would rub off on Cheval readership. Without Brian and Roger it might be thought that two strokes were a momentary aberration in The Ariel's history...
And have a Good New Year all of you.
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by AndyEames »

My first Ariel was a '54 VH, bought for £25 in a layby on the A38 near Burton on Trent. The then owner had broken down with a snapped drive side crank mainshaft. I bought the new part from Writers by sending postal orders ! Trued it up by rolling it across my mums kitchen floor ! It had a Hartley cam and went like something off a shiny shovel ! But... and heres the thing : it was the little smokers that I had after it that had a lasting effect on me. Always Leaders in some state or another,even the one with 'spannies' on. Until I inherited Delilah from my late brother. '62 Arrow Sports.
TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by TonyBaxter »

Great thread, and welcome David.
I have a road bike that I am intending to refurbish and get back on the road this year, previous owner last rode it in around 1971. Have also obtained several more frames, a pair of forks, wheels and two engine bottom halves. I too intend to build a race/parade bike when the road bike is finished. Great pool of knowledge on here :-)
Thanks guys.