Heavy throttle

paul.darnell

Heavy throttle

Post by paul.darnell »

My Arrow has a heavy throttle action, compared with the Tiger Cub I used to have. It returns readily enough but it takes a fair amount of grip to throttle up. Is this normal? As far As I can tell it has a standard Amal monobloc carb, although I need to look closer. My Tiger Cub had a Mikuni carb and the action was very light.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Heavy throttle

Post by will_curry »

The throttle cable route on an arrow isn't brilliant as standard and with the correct length
cable. The best I've managed is to turn the twistgrip on the handlebar so that the cable
exits vertically up and has an easier route to the hole in the top shell. This only works
because the Arrow was dropped early on in its life and the original twistgrip and brake
lever got broken and were replaced with two separate items.

The bend in the cable at the top of the carb doesn't help either but i haven't been able
to come up with anything to help there. I suspect that modern cable is not as flexible
as the original and that won't help too.

Have you tried a nylon lined cable?
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi hse the carb had a stronger spring fitted or is the cable not run right and is binding when you twist the twistgrip :?:
paul.darnell

Post by paul.darnell »

Mine does have a separate throttle and brake lever and the cable does take a sharp bend, I will try and rotate it to see if it improves. The cable is free but the twist grip action is heavy. I cannot think why a stronger spring would be in the carb. I am considering fitting a Venhill cable, if I could work out which one. They sell one for "Classic British Singles".
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

I've used very flexible inner cable from J. J. Cables ( 7x7 strands ). Making the bends as big as possible. It gives a very smooth action on the Arrow, Leader and Mk2 Leader , with Amal or Mikuni. carbs. Brian .H.