crank shaft removal

PaulWoolley

crank shaft removal

Post by PaulWoolley »

Good evening
Does anyone have the service tools for sale to undo the bolt connecting the 2 crankshafts and the tool to remove the centre bearing, if not i'm sure we will be able to improvise.

I have decided to remove the crank shaft myself with the help of my brother (a mechanic) and then take it to Alpha bearings to sort it out.
I have the extractor plate 43545s and the locating plate 43541s. but thats all.

Thanks
Paul Woolley
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: crank shaft removal

Post by Ivor Collins »

Not sure what you have there but it’s possible to improvise depending on how tight it is/has become/how long it’s been together. They cane be scary tight. There are 2 stages to splitting the crank, the first one is the torque to undo the bolt, the second comes a a few turns later when it bursts the taper apart and separates.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Paul,
Before you strip the doors out of the crankcase it's well worth clocking
the ends of the crank. It'll give you some idea of what to expect when
the crank comes back. Ideally they'll be within a couple of thou of true.
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

Hi,
You have the two main tools and the centre bearing can be knocked out using a drift, getting it back in is a bit harder but it can be done with washers etc. It is possible to get round holding the flywheel and clutch centre still while you undo the nut(s). The allen key for the centre bolt is fairly easily available from Drags or any tool supplier. I 'm out of action at the moment just recovered from a minor hand op , also the workshop has the new roof on but is still full of builders tools,blocks etc. Brian Hinchliffe arielbikes.co.uk
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

ariel tools.jpg
Well, I have just taken delivery of my first Ariel Arrow and these tools came with it.
Any idea what each part does? I can post to you if they are what you need as long as you cover postage cost both ways.
PaulWoolley

Post by PaulWoolley »

Hi Trev
You v'e done well with getting that lot, BH says Iv'e got the two main service tools which I bought from him some time ago.
I do need the allen key and allen key extension which will undo the crankshaft centre bolt, and would be happy to pay postage both ways and will return it when the jobs done.
cheers
paul
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

allen key.jpg
Hi Paul, no problem. If you can message me with your contact details, I will get it in the post today for you.
There are 3 bits 3/8ths UNF stamped on them. Picture attached to confirm.
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Did you get the crank done in the end Paul?