ariel leader con rod up/down play

will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: ariel leader con rod up/down play

Post by will_curry »

You could do worse than contact your local club branch to see if there
is anyone near you prepared to advise you on what really needs doing.

Contact details are on the back cover of Cheval.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Paul you will get a lot help from the members on this forum to rebuild your Ariel :D :D
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Ideally you need a complete engine with barrels , heads, pistons, gaskets etc to send them, so they can build and check tolerances as they go along.
It is a case, you have to take everything apart, to get at the crank seals and bearings before you put it back together. Then they can balance the crank, skim the heads, deck the barrels, re bore if required, weigh and modify pistons, as they re build it, dependent on the compression, performance you require. Also modify oil ways in inner transfer ports to increase oil flow to bearing.
As you are probably aware, Ariel had a range of heads, low or high compression and a few in between. Different piston designs, dyke rings or normal type. A minefield.

I always get my barrels bored and recoated with ceramic coating, a motorsport innovation. Then get my piston crowns sprayed with a reflective coating, to reflect head back away from the piston. Finally, the pistons skirts are coated with a teflon finish, to reduce scuffing. You can then run chrome piston rings, which wear and not the barrels! I have never seized an engine in racing with these mods. http://poetonaptec.co.uk/

If you just want the bike to run and plod about on it, then nikaseal will do you fine.
It is a shame our 2 stroke spares department is not open at the moment as I feel sure they would have lots of useful parts.

I have a pair of low compression heads coming up soon, I suspect if you put an ad on this site requesting help, you will get replies from those who have rebuilt many Ariel 2T motors in their time. Try the Ariel racing lads, they are possibly best to advise.