Ethanol

AdeScrivs

Re: Ethanol

Post by AdeScrivs »

I would have thought that the sensible option would be to do a bit of local research and find a filling station near home that sells 97 or 99 octane fuel. This only has 5% ethanol at worst and if you are lucky as I am, in some areas no ethanol added at all.
Another bonus for me is that I only live 1/4 mile away from Vital Equipment, they stock ethanol free racing fuel in various octane ratings.
Expensive, but ideal for parade, racing or track bikes. I intend to use it in the sprint bikes this season.
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Just out of curiosity, is Avgas any better that the E5 &E10 fuel types?
AVGAS UL91 – Colourless and unleaded piston engine fuel that’s safer for the environment, AVGAS UL91 is designed for sports and general aviation aircraft.

· AVGAS 100LL – A high-quality, low-lead piston engine aviation fuel used for more taxing flying, such as aerobatics.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Methanol and ethanol will both attract and absorb water. That could be an issue. Nev
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

That is a pain, so I suppose the only way to ensure less damage, is to run E5 and drain out bike after each run.
I am sure, I read somewhere that by adding water to the E5-E10 petrol in a spare container, the ethanol and Methanol with be attracted to the water if left to stand for a while. The water with methanol and ethanol can then be drained off.
Youtube have details on this process
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Don't add water . It's just creating another problem. I think THAT test is done after doing a drain to see if ethanol is in the fuel and roughly what amount.. I think it's the absorbed water that does most of the damage.. With alcohol fueled speedway bikes the tank and carburetter are drained after use. Nev