Ethanol

Peter Holder

Ethanol

Post by Peter Holder »

Having got my engine running half way through last year, I decided to fit the new crank and rods - all good until it came to starting 6 months later. Although the fuel was supposed to be Ethanol free it was not.Esso gave me a convoluted reply, it depends on where you live , which delivery firm was used, whether the garage is Esso owned or independant probably if there is an R in the month ! That has now been superseded by the E5 ruling so beware. Although I am using a modern intank pump the fuel had stripped the plating and started to rust the body, fortunately it also attacked the pump rotor so it would not turn other wise the injectors would have been wreaked as well. While viton seals are better they will not last that long, this fuel also corroded the copper return tube.It is acidic attecking Zinc & to a slower rate steel, the percentage will only alter that speed.
The owners of the SU, Stromberg, Zenith and Amal names are currently re-tooling & in some cases re-designing to suit aluminium instead of the original zinc alloy, we don't need to guess why. Personally I will not use anything from a forecourt pump, but the alternative is expensive.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ethanol

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI There is a few members of the forum that dismiss Ethanol doing any harm to your bike or car, ect, but i am not one of them , i see what it does to fuel systems and engines, i did put a post on the forum about it last year but a lot did not believe it :( :roll: ( they will be along soon )
Peter Holder

Post by Peter Holder »

Hi Johnny
I am not surprised to see only one response to 60+ views, there is a lot of apathy out there.
The serious damage is the acid attack particularly on Zinc. Most of the resistance charts do not even differentiate between nitrile and viton rubbers, lump all copper compounds together - bronze is actually much better than brass, so are not always a good guide. The fact is that manufacturers are re-tooling for aluminium at considerable expense, the only Amals re-tooled at the moment are 900 series concentrics but maybe others will follow.
This issue will take time to cause real problems, but it may be too late by then.
Peter
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I would refer anyone with an interest in this subject to the FBHVC website where there is a lot reasoned comment on it along with a lot of background information. Our club is a member of the FBHVC so in a very small way we have all paid for this research. https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels#ethanol

Peter you don't say what sort of Ariel it is that you have experienced these problems on, it must be one of the prototypes that Vincent has been talking about!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

I haven't noticed any problems yet, or mabe I have. Could my slide stuck in the carb be caused by the fuel.
Peter Holder

Post by Peter Holder »

Hi Roger
When I first joined the forum I was met with such rudeness that I have not posted until this serious issue. Your reference to FBHVC document has repeated that. While I believe in second chances I do not do third ones. I hope that you consider that document value for money !

Peter
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi peter i think this document from the FBHVC is good value for money , and do not be put off using the forum by a few idiots that try and put you down :( just let it be like water off a duck back and - - - - them :roll:
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I have to say that I was also somewhat curious as to which Ariel you had Peter. There aren't too many models I can think of with in tank pumps and injectors!
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I am sorry if you found my reply to be rude, it was not my intention, merely a little tongue in cheek and as Paul points out I was not the only one to wonder what you were talking about. Or do you mean my reference to what I believe is a good article on the subject of ethanol in petrol?
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Paul maybe he is toking about a different motorcycle i have some motorcycles that have got pump and injectors but they are later ones , or he may have one of the Ariel arrows that had fuel injection fitted to it :?: