Arrow 6v charging system

eadriclloyd

Re: Arrow 6v charging system

Post by eadriclloyd »

John, Perhaps I can help you out as I am in Newchurch which is 12 miles South of Ashford.
I seem to remember that the two different wiring diagrams show the hard links (brass tracks) between some of the pins on the back of the ignition switch. These hard links are different between the two types of ignition switches. You can use the wiring diagram to determine if the ignition switch links are correct. The ignition switch should be the key type for your year of bike.
As a first thought I could bring over a rotor and stator, which I know works, and try them on your bike, if this helps?
Eddie Lloyd
White.John.A

Post by White.John.A »

Hi Eddie,
The Ignition switch on my bike is as you say the key type. At the moment, I am trying to assess whether the wiring on the switches are working correctly. I am also looking at the rectifier. the output from mine is only 6.4 v. i think it should be nearer 7.0 V. I have bought a second one, which gives very similar results. This leaves me unsure what to try next. I would like to take you up on your offer, once i have finished checking the switches. I also have a Lucas Manual, which shows how to test the alternator. I am trying to understand it, so that I can test mine. These sort of problems take me awhile to do. Many thanks for your kind offer.
John
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Your readings indicate that the GW is common wired to one side of the rectifier and the BG and GY are the 2 supplies one of which goes direct to the rectifier and the other to the switched to give additional electricity when the lights are on. Those readings show that the alternator is working.

If the rectifiers that you have tried were all new then it is unlikely that they are all faulty. I assume that the 6.5 vgolts from the rectifier is with the battery in circuit, in which case it is working correctly. There are 2 versions of the switches and they are wired slightly differently You can tell the first type as they are attached directly to the loom, the later ones have sockets attached to the loom that the switches are plugged into. New switches will be the later style and should be wired as per later diagrams as explained here https://draganfly.co.uk/product-categor ... ring-horn/

The 'S' Arrows used the early switches and the 'T' Arrows the later switches.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
eadriclloyd

Post by eadriclloyd »

John,
Please see attached a photo of the back my spare ignition switch showing the brass tracks connecting pins 14 to 15 and 16 to 17.
This is shown on the attached wiring diagram as dotted lines between the switch pins.
If you wish to send your contact details, email, phone number or address, to me we could discuss further/meet up.
Eddie Lloyd
Attachments
SCAN0430.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
White.John.A

Post by White.John.A »

Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the wiring diagram. The switch you show in the picture is exactly the same as the one that came with the bike, which eventually stopped working. The new one I have fitted, is quite different. I intend to check my wiring against your diagram. I have limited time to work on the bike at the moment, which is making progress slow. Today I wanted to prove that when the head light was on there was a connection between the ignition switch and the head light switch. to make sure that when charging the head light would get the increase in power. On your diagram it would be between 5 and 10. Unfortunately there isn't much room for the wires and my hands in the head light shell and trying to test the switches I dislodged a wire, which prevented the whole system from working. I spent the rest of my time trying to trace the trouble. Still a little more work to do before i have solved it.
John