Key Conundrum

JohnMolloy

Key Conundrum

Post by JohnMolloy »

My Leader is complete after a lockdown rebuild, but I am short of one small part. I have a lock with two keys (FS940) for the tool box lid (T2517) but it doesn’t latch. I have another lock with NO keys that latches, however I cannot get a key to fit. Hatts in High Wycombe (Master Locksmiths) had to admit defeat and returned the lock to me.
Now I understand that there are two key references, FS and FC, but I do not have a key to try in order to see if the FC key fits. The FS key will certainly not go in the lock.
Does anybody have an FC key they are prepared to lend me to see if it fits in the lock?
Are there any other letter prefixes?
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Key Conundrum

Post by Roger Gwynn »

There are other letter prefixs to these keys but FS is by far the most common, so much so that the generic term for them in the trade is FS keys, even when they arn't! I think that the key number is stamped on the side of the lock, there is certainly a 3 digit number on one that I have, unfortunately without keys so cannot test the theory. My Leader isn't here to look at.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Should be the FS series of keys for that lock, and yes as mentioned by Roger you will find the key number stamped on the bottom, If you find that number and cannot find a key for sale (they are usually to be found for sale on ebay) let me know and I'll check my jam jar of FS keys. Jess
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Draganfly also have a lot of these keys, I once spent a happy day sorting them all out onto a board that a week later was knocked onto the floor, I didn't sort them out again...
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnMolloy

Post by JohnMolloy »

Thanks for your input Rogers
The number on the bottom of the lock is 713, and I know that the FS will not enter, therefore do I assume that what I need is an FC713 or is one of the Rogers correct in that there are several more prefixes.
If Roger J can have a look in his key jar, I would be obliged.
Do I take it Roger G that Draganfly have even more keys? If so then I will ask them to have a look or, alternatively, when next I am in North Norfolk I could look myself.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Have had a look in my key jar, sorry, I don't have a FS713 OR FP713 key amongst them. Roger J...
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi what you need is a old car accessory shop or a very old locksmiths that cuts car keys because the keys FS etc was well used on motor vehicles in the 1950s to the late 1970s all the good old accessory shops that done keys had a wall rack with all the keys with all letters and numbers reddy cut , if this post was on here a month ago my mate closed down is garage after 60 years he is 85, and he threw away the rack with loads of pre cut old numbers new keys and two boxes of new keys :cry: and now thinking about them i wished i got them :roll:
JohnMolloy

Post by JohnMolloy »

Thank you, one and all. I enquired of a man on eBay for an FC key, and he replied that he had never heard of an FC key but suggested that I buy a FP713 key which he had in stock. When received it fitted and worked so I am OK now but thank you all for your input - I am most grateful.
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

psst.
Get a spare cut!