VH500 piston wanted

PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

VH500 piston wanted

Post by PeteL »

To suit my iron 1952 VH500.
Bore is +20 at present and a +30 rebore might be enough but would be happy with a +40.
Would be happy with anything that will fit as Single Spares have no stock and apparently will not "until middle of next year" And Drags also have none. So any usable s/h piston would be great.
Can't bear the thought of the Ariel sitting in the garage, maybe for 6 or 8 months, unridable for the sake of one part. :cry:
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: VH500 piston wanted

Post by keith.mettam »

Have you tried these people ? :- https://www.fwthornton.co.uk/motorcycle ... riel-parts
All the best with it,
Keith.
Karol Burger
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Karol Burger »

thank you, I didn't know this site. It will definitely help more renovators. 8-)
Ariel 500 E - 1927 /Ariel SF-1931 ,Ariel SB - 1932 / Ariel 4F6 - 1932, 1934 / AOMCC Slovakia Branch Secretary

https://www.arielklub.sk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/322716757874756
https://www.facebook.com/ArielKlub.sk
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Wow! Suddenly I'm cheerful again.
I have emailed them and will take the cylinder to Hamlins in Bridgwater tomorrow and see what rebore size is needed.
Thanks !!!
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

JP pistons, forgot about those.
These guys seem to have them too (bit surprised Drags don't have any).
https://www.feked.com/engine-and-transm ... l-pistons/

Probably a few more sources here and there....

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

I got a piston from Thornton's Its a JP which it wasn't named as that on their website.
Having trawled through the extensive threads on the subject I understand the excess weight and balance problems and the advice to have 6 thou instead of JP's recomended 4 thou clearance.
These I can live with, especially if I can get some reliable advice on lightening the piston.
But the biggest problem is, the gudgeon pin is too big ! I am really tee'd off with parts for old bikes being produced with little care over accurate fit.
Its not a huge difference in diameter of the pin, as confirmed by Hamlin's this mornig. But its just enough for the JP pin not to fit in the smallend bush or the original piston, and the Hepolite pin is too loose a fit in the JP puiston.
I might be able to ease the diameter of the small end bush, but if I later get a decent piston, I'll have to get a new bush fitted.
So I'm considering options.
As Draganfly now list VH500 pistons in stock, I enquired what type. JP was the answer and they don't have +30 which I have and cylinder is now bored for.
Allan at Single Spares has some on order but "not until the middle of next year" I am hoping these will be the Omega 7.5:1 which seems to have been favourite in the threads I looked at.
But what to do until then ? I don't want half a year to go by without riding the Ariel.

So repeating the ask. If anybody has a usable piston, low or medium compression, +30 ideally with correct size gudgeon pin I would be so very grateful.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

I've only got a spare +20 and it's dished.
It's a heplex, but there is no pin.
20221125_131735.jpg
I had a JP piston in another 500 I had. I didn't notice any additional vibration. I did bore a little more clearance and I did have to take a little off the small end bush.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Thanks John but Mine was +20 but now is +30.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

I've got some standards.
They're all without rings or pins tho - sorry.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
pete.collings

Post by pete.collings »

I have a bare used 10793 VH piston, have not checked it over as yet, but may well be suitable for your needs. PM me for further details.