Arrow/Leader RH Barrel Wanted

clive.rickman

Arrow/Leader RH Barrel Wanted

Post by clive.rickman »

Wanted - a Right-hand cylinder barrel for 1961 Arrow or Leader as mine is damaged (I have the LH barrel). I'll probably need to obtain new pistons and bore both 'replacement' and existing barrels. My LH is currently bored to +0.010" so if you have RH one with a bore-size in that region, that would be good!
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Arrow/Leader RH Barrel Wanted

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Clive - have you tried Drags? I've had a couple of barrels from their second-hand stock.

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
clive.rickman

Post by clive.rickman »

Hi, yes, I've looked on their website but they don't appear to have any in stock. Guess I should ring to check. Thanks!
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

There are not many smaller bore barrels left, most seem to be in the + 30 to 60 range. Ron of Fahron engineering relines cast barrels but he is very busy and has a long waiting list but it is a possible way to go if you are not in a hurry. Brian H.
clive.rickman

Post by clive.rickman »

I have found a barrel for sale, supposedly for Arrow/Leader but I note, from the pics, that it is not quite the same as the one fitted to my engine.

On the sale item, there is a pair of 'windows' low down in the spigot whereas my barrel has open slots in this location. I know I could open up the widows on the sale item (and turn them into slots) but I am wondering whether there could be a difference in the other ports too. Anyone know?
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Your barrels have been molested!
If somebody's done some tuning they might have followed a published plan or they might have come up with some ideas of their own. I think the only way you'll know for sure are by checking all the port dimensions.
Barry Hickmott's tuning spec seems to cut out the bit you mention, the other parts of that plan may or may not have been followed. :roll: :mrgreen:
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewtop ... ott#p46031

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
clive.rickman

Post by clive.rickman »

Thanks, Simon. So, then, the barrels would originally have had windows and not open slots which means mine have been modified?
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

You can see the transfer windows on this section of cylinder drawing. Brian H.
Attachments
cylinder drawing numb 3.jpg
clive.rickman

Post by clive.rickman »

Excellent! Thanks, Brian.
D Dale

Post by D Dale »

I may have one. I collected a hole load of parts last weekend, gearbox's and engine parts. Just need to go through what I have.
Currently rebuilding a 1962 Arrow