For Sale Rare 1970s AOMCC Mug by Patrick Sargent

DavidJS

For Sale Rare 1970s AOMCC Mug by Patrick Sargent

Post by DavidJS »

Hi
I hope this is allowed but please delete if not.
I have just put a rare mug up for sale on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255644159324
This is rare not just because it is a vintage AOMCC mug but also because it was made by renowned English potter, Patrick Sargent, who died tragically young in 1998. I suspect (from its style, and the telephone number) that is dates from the early to mid 1970s when Patrick was still a teenager. It's certainly no later than late 1970s.
If anybody is interested please feel free to drop me a line. Also if anybody has any further information about the mug then that would be very useful as well.
Best wishes, David
SimonFletcher
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: For Sale Rare 1970s AOMCC Mug by Patrick Sargent

Post by SimonFletcher »

I studied ceramics with Patrick at Farnham and this was made during his earlier student days, when he undertook a foundation course at Nene College, Northampton. That makes it probably around 1977/78 – we were at Farnham together from 79-81. Pat was already into Ariels when we met, and I'm sure there are long-standing members of the club who will remember him. I believe his first British bike was a Norton Big 4, but when he arrived at Farnham, he was riding a rather nice Huntmaster/Watsonian GP Sports combo, which he proceeded to wear out in short order, using it to haul all manner of stuff that it probably shouldn't have. I have an Ariel now, partly because of the connection – when he briefly returned to Northampton after graduating (1st class, with honours), he had a couple of bikes alternately on loan from Tony Cooper, and I got to ride them, sowing the seeds of my later interest - partly nostalgic. He was a larger than life character and I miss him a lot. He took his pottery persona very seriously and is very well regarded in studio pottery circles to this day. When he died there were obituaries in the Guardian and the Independent, which gives an indication of the reputation he was building. Where your mug fits in in relation to the rest of his output, I am not quite sure. A bit of a sideline, I think, but good luck with the sale.
’54 VH,
‘72 BMW R60/5, ‘83 BMW R80RT
DavidJS

Post by DavidJS »

Thank you so much for that, Simon. This is what was later Surrey Institute of Art & Design? I'm lucky enough to have a couple of pieces by him, but this (apart from being by him) sits rather outside what I normally collect. Anyway, I can now report the mug is SOLD. Any further memories of Patrick would however be greatly appreciated.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Nice mug!

On to Ariel paraphernalia, who made this one? it says 'FB' on the bottom.
Ariel 1994 egg cup  (1).jpg
Ariel 1994 egg cup  (2).jpg
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

Francis Barnett? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick.Small

Post by Mick.Small »

Vincent, that/they were made by Frank Berry, a well known potter, and long time AOMCC member, from Tonbridge, Kent, UK. You have probably met him at one or other Dutch Rallies. He made a lot of pots and pottery for various branch awards and rallies. I have a good selection of his Ariel stuff, but if you put a Google search in, his main business was for the tourist trade in Kent. He made a LOT of pottery Oast houses but sold his shop 20 years ago and retired, but has sold his Ariels, Huntmaster,350 and HS.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Thanks Mick ! yes, I bought it at the Dutch annual in 1995, I must have met him.