WANTED Swinging Arm ('56-on) for 4 stroke frame

Les H

WANTED Swinging Arm ('56-on) for 4 stroke frame

Post by Les H »

As per title. I'm looking for a swinging arm to fit my '59 VH but I guess they are all the same?. Many thanks. Please PM if you would like to sell it. All the best...Les
Last edited by Les H on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: WANTED Swinging Arm for 4 stroke frame

Post by will_curry »

As far as I'm aware there are three versions of swinging arm not counting those for the HT

The 1954 and 1955 take the half-sided wheel with the 1955 having an extra chainguard
mounting. Both are open at the back where the wheel spindle fits.

The 1956 onward swinging arm takes the full width wheel and is closed at the back where
the wheel spindle goes.

Again as far as I'm aware all HTs had half-sided back wheels and open swinging arm ends
like the 1954 and 55 versions.
Les H

Re: WANTED Swinging Arm for 4 stroke frame

Post by Les H »

Thanks Will for that information, it's very useful. I would need the '56 onward one (bike is '59 VH) as it has the full width hubs and full rear chain-guard. My current one is very badly pitted although powder coated over and also had quite a large dent which presumably got there during a strip down for the "restoration" some years back. :( PS: I've added that date type to the title now...Thanks again Will :)
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: WANTED Swinging Arm ('56-on) for 4 stroke frame

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi try John Budgen he got a lot of Ariel parts
Les H

Post by Les H »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:07 pm hi try John Budgen he got a lot of Ariel parts
Hi, I've done some searching but maybe his web site is closed..Closest possible link is this detail for him, Is this the same bloke Johnny? John Budgen Motorcycles The Lodge Cheltenham Road Ashchurch Rd, Toddington, Cheltenham GL54 5DW Motorcycle Shop. Cheers
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi he told me last year he was getting a new website done , :?: so i would give him a ring on 01798 875390 ,when i see him next i ask him what is happening with his website
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Les H wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:37 pm John Budgen...The Lodge Cheltenham Road Ashchurch Rd, Toddington, Cheltenham GL54 5DW
For info, that's John Budgen's old address, he moved to Sussex (or somewhere round there!) a few years ago.

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi just ring the phone number i have put up and you will get him
Les H

Post by Les H »

Hi Johnny and Simon...I've just seen these details from you both...Will phone tomorrow as I have to take my dog out now and its real sweaty here in Somerset. Many thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know how I get on if he has one...Cheers again :)
Les H

Post by Les H »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:00 pm hi just ring the phone number i have put up and you will get him
Hi Johnny. I phoned John this afternoon. He was a nice chap but unfortunately he said he didn't have one. I'll wait and see what turns up but if nothing, I will do a restoration job on the one I have...Cheers matey...