Alloy Barrels

nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Alloy Barrels

Post by nevhunter »

Some are a bit weak in the base. The iron sleeve needs to be stepped and the 5 head studs are not far from the bore. A nikasil bore would be better as you could run less piston clearance. It's a long lasting surface almost universally used on 2 strokes these days. Nev
Mick.Small

Post by Mick.Small »

This rang some bells for me. 12 or 13 years ago I went to collect an alloy barrel for one of the German members, Klaus Gerhard. I was working in Barnsley and the supplier was in Elsecar, just down the road. I was in Barnsley today and called in to the pattern makers, who supplied the barrel, on the off chance they still do them. The place is called MD Patterns,Wilkinson Road,Elsecar. Mick who was the owner died last year, but his son, Jason is intending to carry on supplying the barrels, and was very helpful and knowledgeable. 350/500 and I think the short stroke versions. I had a chat with him and he had a bench with quite a number of unmachined raw castings which he showed me. I think he is intending to sell the patterns to a local engineering firm to carry on production, but in the meantime he's still able too supply the finished product.I didn't ask if he was interested in supplying the raw castings, and didn't get a firm price, but possibly in the region of £500...Anyway his contact number is 07970347816. He works alone.I did say he might get some calls from the AOMCC members and you could mention my name when you call, but there's no financial advantage to me in any of this!! Regards
johnsmith1

Post by johnsmith1 »

Thanks Mick,
I did contact Jason but it was very unfortunately just after his father,s death. I will try again now.