1931 Square four 500cc

DINOPAGLIA

1931 Square four 500cc

Post by DINOPAGLIA »

Hi, i am trying to find a camshaft sprocket extractor collar," part no 6620-31."
Also the camshaft extractor bolt, "part no 6619-31."
Can any help in any way, accurate drawings would be a great help, ideally the lone of these tools would be perfect, but i imagine any would be that brave. If you are able please help.
Dino.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1931 Square four 500cc

Post by paul.jameson »

If you look at the handbook:

http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members_o ... e18-19.jpg

you will see the purpose of these tools which is to hold the camshaft sprocket in place when the head is removed for decarbonising. This prevents loss of the valve timing. You can achieve the same result by removing the cam chain cover and holding the sprockets (top and bottom) in mesh with the chain using a piece of wire. Then you remove one of the pins from the chain tensioner to make that slack and undo the camshaft sprocket nut. Reassembly is the reverse of this procedure.
I never needed these tools when I had the OHC Four but then I never needed just to take the head off - I always had to dismantle the engine much further than that.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

They are a delicate little gem of a thing but I wouldn't want a completely worn out one to rejuvenate. The big ends are very similar to those in a SCOTT. Nev
DINOPAGLIA

Post by DINOPAGLIA »

Hi, Would anyone have the knowledge of what the cut out button on a 4F 1931 would be, I know it's not the Lucas 76204A as fitted on the later of 600cc 4F.
I have seen on the 1931 4F, that is in the Beaulieu motor museum, a cut out button, that does not resemble anything Lucas would have made, and i
am sure it is correct. The reason i think this is, recently on the Yesterday Antiques of Holland web site, there was a 4F 1932 600 for sale, and it had
the same cut out button as the 500 4F in the Beaulieu motor museum, "coincidence" I don't think it can be! The only thing that come's to my mind,
is a Bosch push button.
Can Anyone help me in finding the correct button?
Dino.