Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

for sale in Netherlands : late WNG

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

For sale on Dutch Marktplaats:

Engine number is from RAF.
Asking price 3500,-
Add some 4000/5000 that you easely spend on buying all thats missing and getting it correct and....functioning . ;)
Maus, the advertiser (if this is the same one I have heard of) is a collector of all things WW2.
But obviously on this one he bails out... :D

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/motoren/mo ... rlog-wd-ng
Screenshot 2022-02-15 at 18-35-32 ≥ Britse leger militaire WD Ariel uit de oorlog WD NG — Motoren Oldtimers — Marktplaats.png
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: for sale in Netherlands : late WNG

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Horn bracket, you forgot to mention the horn bracket.

Paul J notice the large G in the XG!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Dear Roger,
Because of the absence of the culprit named 'Altette Horn' there is no immediate risk of it becoming within striking range with the (also missing) lower section of the front mudguard :lol:
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The W/NG frame bends down just below the seat. That one doesn't appear to XG runs from 38 to 1940 in NON W/NG frames. THAT offer is a bit pricey isn't it? . I can CHECK the Xg but not right now.. Nev
klaus gerhard
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by klaus gerhard »

Roger and Paul,
Whats the secret about the G or the g? My 1938's frame number seems to have a large X and a smaller g. Was there a reason for that?
Thanks
Klaus
Vincent.vanGinneke

well, rumor has it....
A puncher guy named Bill had a set of punches and had it's capital G nicked by some low life (who went on to become head of design at Umberslade Hall) , so he had to search the works for another capital G but could only locate a lower case g.
That's all folks ! :lol:
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I wish to say that I have never owned a bike with an XG frame number BUT

I was advised a few years ago that W/NG frames had a large X and a smaller, but still capital letter G. A frame where the X and the G were both the same (big) size was a civilian high ground clearance frame.

Whether this is correct or not - please advise - or Roger and I will talk about it at rallies all year long..........
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

OK, I checked 2 W/NGs and two 1940 "normal"frames.The "G" is a capital always and marginally smaller but one of the Civvie frames has an even smaller capital G. They are only 18 numbers apart. Vincent must be psychic..There was another punch but it's NOT Lower case. Ariel Numbers seem to line up well and are level at the bottom, and deep. Pretty hard to fake but would a 'replacement' frame have numbers ex factory? Nev
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

In my experience replacement frames were numbered at the factory, probably because they were supplied painted rather than any other reason but crankcase were not. Also in the UK and I suspect most other countries the frame is the part of the bike that officially identifies the vehicle so selling frames without numbers may just encourage low lifes to nick bikes.
The 'G is either about the same size as the 'X' or obviously much smaller but always upper case.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.